Cannabis edibles have been gaining popularity as they allow consumers to cater to their sweet tooth and cannabis cravings at the same time. It is a pleasurable method of consumption as it tastes delicious, doesn’t affect the user’s lungs, and can be made at a mild or strong potency. The high comes on a little slower, and the strength can be dependent on how much food you have consumed before taking your edible. Edibles have also been well known to help those who suffer from insomnia as they produce a very relaxing high.
The original and most famous edible is none other than the Weed Brownie. THC brownies can sometimes be found at your local dispensary if you live in a legal state or have a medical card. If you live in a state where THC is still recreationally illegal, CBD brownies can be purchased online. For those who don’t have access to purchasing pre-made brownies, or would like a more cost-effective solution, the best thing to do is roll up their sleeves and make a batch. Whether you’re a seasoned baker or a newbie in the kitchen, this guide is designed to make your weed brownie baking experience as smooth and enjoyable as your final product.
- Your favorite brownie mix
- Vegetable oil or melted butter (as per your mix’s instructions)
- Decarboxylated Cannabis
Pro Tip: If you would like to make a gluten-free or slightly healthier brownie, substitute your vegetable oil or butter with coconut oil. Coconut oil is not only gluten-free but also a fantastic fat for cannabis infusion. It has a high saturated fat content, making it excellent at absorbing cannabinoids. Plus, its subtle, sweet flavor complements the chocolatey richness of the brownies.
- Mixing bowl
- Pot and lid
- Baking pan
- Parchment paper or Aluminum Foil
Importance of Decarboxylation
One of the most critical steps in creating potent and effective weed edibles, including our beloved brownies, is decarboxylation. This process might sound complex, but it’s actually simple chemistry that makes a world of difference in your baking. Understanding the science behind it not only enhances your baking skills but also ensures you’re getting the most out of your cannabis. Let’s break down what decarboxylation is and why it’s so essential.Raw cannabis contains THCA (tetrahydrocannabinolic acid), which is non-psychoactive. This means that consuming raw cannabis won’t give you the ‘high’ associated with THC (tetrahydrocannabinol). Decarboxylation transforms THCA into THC, the compound known for its psychoactive properties. Decarboxylation ensures that the psychoactive and medicinal properties of THC and CBD are activated. Without this process, your weed brownies might taste great, but they won’t deliver the effects you’re looking for. If you have the option to select your strain, this will dictate the effects of your weed brownies. Indica helps with relaxing, Sativa helps with uplifting, and hybrid for a bit of both.
How to Make Potent Weed Brownies
Step 1: Decarb your Cannabis
- Break It Down: Start by breaking your cannabis buds into small pieces. This increases the surface area and ensures more even decarboxylation.
- Spread Evenly: Spread the cannabis evenly on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil. This prevents sticking and ensures even heat distribution.
- Low and Slow: Bake in a preheated oven at 240°F (115°C) for about 30-40 minutes. This time can vary depending on the moisture content of your cannabis. The color should change to a dark green color and be dry to the touch once finished.
- Cool Down: Allow the cannabis to cool after removing it from the oven. It’s now ready for use in your edibles.
Step 2: Infuse Your Oil or ButterNow that your bud has been decarboxylated, it is time to infuse it with your oil or butter. Infusing your oil or butter is where your weed ’s potency gets transferred to your brownies. Mix your decarboxylated cannabis with your choice of fat (oil or butter) and gently simmer for 2-3 hours. This slow infusion ensures maximum THC absorption. Once done, strain the mixture to remove the plant material.
Step 3: Strain Your Canna-Oil or Canna-ButterThis is the messiest step, but is essential in removing the small pieces of herb from your oil and butter. Simply pour the butter through a strainer and press any pieces of weed to extract any last drops of oil or butter that the herb has absorbed.
Step 4: Mix Your Brownie BatterMix your brownie batter as per the package instructions, substituting regular oil or butter with your cannabis-infused version. Stir well to ensure even distribution of the cannabis oil.
Step 5: Bake and Enjoy
Pour the batter into a greased pan and bake as per the brownie mix instructions. Once baked, let them cool (the hardest part is waiting!), cut them into even pieces, and enjoy your homemade weed brownies.
Tips to get the most out of your weed brownie experience.
- Do not consume food two hours before eating your weed brownie. This ensures your stomach will only be focused on digesting your weed brownie and the THC and CBD inside of it.
- If you are worried about the strength, you can find potency calculators online, which will help you determine the number of milligrams in each brownie. A single dose is 5mg, so beginners should start there and gradually eat more. The strength will be largely dependent on the user ’s weight and food consumption prior to ingesting the brownie.
- Pair your brownie with a nice beverage. Coffee, milk or wine are all beverages that paid exceptionally well with weed brownies due to their effects and taste.
- Invite some friends for a helping hand with preparing and enjoying the brownies. Chances are you’ll want some help with the prep, cooking, and cleaning as making weed brownies can be laborous, but very rewarding. Who better to show off your new recipe and share the fruits of your labor with than close friends!
- Store your leftovers in a cool dry place and airtight container. If you made more than you can consume in a week, it is recommended to freeze them and defrost them a few hours before you’re ready to consume them for the most freshness.
Potent Weed Brownies: Wrapping it Up
We hope you enjoyed our guide to making potent weed brownies. Whether you ’re baking for a party, for medicinal purposes, or just to relax on a weekend, these weed brownies are sure to be a hit. If brownies just aren’t your cup of tea or you are ready to make new canna-infused desserts and dishes, check out our How to Make Potent Cannabis Cookies and High Cuisine: Recipes for a 4/20 Four-Course Feast blogs for more cannabis-infused recipes. Happy Baking!